Pages

Thursday 23 October 2014

π Anxiety

That's what these kids today get excited about: Geometry.

"Flatline" by Jamie Mathieson, directed by Douglas Mackinnon. Spoilers after the cut.

Second episode in a week from Jamie Mathieson, who I guess they've got high hopes for chez Doctor Who; either that or another writer's episode fell through and they needed him to turn one in on short notice. If so, I'd say this was the one. I only know Mathieson's name previously from his having written a few episodes of Being Human, including the "Pie and Prejudice" episode with Amanda Hale's posh, sweary ghost.

Some nice ideas in the episode, with the two-dimensional monsters, so it may be Douglas Mackinnon's direction that lacked something, as it struggled to keep my attention. I like the insistence on Bristol accents throughout though, given how many TV shows are set/filmed there without you ever hearing what a local sounds like. The ongoing theme of Clara "turning into" the Doctor continues to be the most interesting element, especially the Doctor's discomfort with the fact.

That bit at the end where the Doctor named the baddies didn't have the best sound editing - I listened to it several times and still thought he was calling them "The Bum's Rush." According to the official website they're called "The Boneless," which I guess makes more sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment