Pages

Monday 18 February 2013

"All that thee-and-thou bollocks. It gets on my tits."

Already halfway through the final series of Being Human, that's what comes of cutting it down to six episodes. It also means that while Kate Bracken's slowly growing on me, by the time I actually properly like her it'll probably be time for it all to end.

"Pie and Prejudice" by Jamie Mathieson, directed by Phlip John. Spoilers under the cut.

- I thought this had a particularly good pre-credits scene: Not just establishing Larry's backstory but also the fact that his life was already on the skids before he got turned into a werewolf.
- And an opportunity for Socha to show off his acting chops as he gets caught up in Larry's questionable charm and worries not only about his future but about letting his late father down. Nice that McNair's importance to him isn't being forgotten - after all his single-minded way of raising him has resulted both in Tom's strongest qualities and his immaturity, which seems to be what usually leads to clashes between him and Hal.
- Again, I think my point about the Tom/Hal relationship makes itself again and again, here Hal's utter fury at Larry breaking Tom's spirit is the thing that in turns breaks Hal.
- And that's an interesting direction the plot's taking, Hal now killing people without it having anything to do with drinking their blood. A bit like when George sedated the werewolf and turned aggressive in the rest of his life?
- The Lady Mary plot was a lot of fun and also a rather twisted conceit in many ways.
- Although Lady Mary's turning down a lot of doors surely contradicts canon: I thought Annie turning down just one door was a unique occurrence that set TMWSAR after her.
- Also, I really need to rewatch "The Wolf-Shaped Bullet" because I'm sure Lee Ingleby's character said it takes more than a wooden stake to kill an Old One. Which kind of makes the climactic scene a bit less scary for Hal.
- Hal's look of slight distaste at having to say "Google."
- So with the Rook subplot the Government cuts are as much of a bad guy this series as Yer Actual Devil is.
- Love the reveal that the number Rook's phoned to unburden all his problems to is a sex chatline.

Favourite lines:
- "I have no idea, I wasn't privy to the deliberations." "There, it's 'cause you say 'privy' and you don't even mean the bogs."
- "Our bumpers kissed and then our mouths... kissed."
- "Tom McNair Inc? I think you're supposed to put something else on there, like a phone number or an email." "I'll call you."
- "There's a new player in town, and he's got the skills, and the looks, and the motivation. And the skills."
- "What about your unfinished business?" "Oh that's all sorted. Something about library books."
- "...and I like action films. John Woo. Jackie Chan. And the music of Metallica. I watch cage fighting. I shoplift, quite a lot, and I push people over sometimes if I don't like their shoes. Or their faces."
- "Do you ever listen to yourself? It's like the Shipping Forecast took a shit in your ear."

2 comments:

  1. Hal's attempt to stake himself was genuinely brilliant acting; like there was a magnetic field between him and the weapon. As if I didn't love Damien Molony enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sort of mime acting is harder to get right than it looks.

      Delete